Yakhni Pulao (Mutton Pilaf)
- 2 and the half cups of water
- 3/4 mutton leg cut into 5 cm. pieces
- 6 flakes garlic crushed
- 6 peppercorns
- 5 teaspoons salt ( As per taste)
- 6 brown cardamoms
- 6 sticks (2 and the half cms. each) cinnamon
- 12 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium (200 gms. ) onion sliced
- 3 cups Basmati rice.
- Put 2 cups water, meat, garlic, peppercorns, 1 teaspoon salt and half the cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves in cooker.
- Close cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat. Reduce heat and cook for 12 minutes.
- Removes cooker from heat. Reduce pressure by placing cooker in a basin of cold water (approximately 2 minutes).
- Open cooker. Remove meat. Strain cooking liquid. If necessary, add water to strained liquid to make 3 and the half cups stock and reserve.
- Wash and wipe dry cooker.
- Heat oil in cooker for about 2 minutes. Add remaining Cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves. Stir for a few seconds. Add onions and fry till well browned. Add remaining Water (1/2 cup) and boil for a few seconds. Add meat. Stir fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir fry for about 3 minutes. Add stock and remaining salt (4 teaspoons). Stir.
- Close cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat. Reduce beat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove cooker from heat. Allow to cool naturally for 5 minutes. Press finger-tip control lightly to release pressure.
- Open cooker. Serve hot.